Working Herds Manager
- Full Time - 40 hours per week, working 5 out of 7 days including evenings and weekends
- 1 March 2021
The Working Herds Manager will be part of Herds team at Home Farm and report to the Home Farm Manager.
Goodwood is a quintessentially English estate, set in 12,000 acres of rolling West Sussex countryside. Rooted in our heritage, we deliver extraordinary and engaging experiences in modern and authentic ways. But what really sets us apart is our people. It is their passion, enthusiasm and belief in the many things we do that makes Goodwood the unique place it is.
It takes a certain sort of person to flourish in such a fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment like Goodwood. We look for talented, self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals who will be able to share our passion for Goodwood to be ‘the home of exceptional experiences’.
The Real Thing Derring-Do Obsession for Perfection Sheer Love of Life
Always inspired by Goodwood’s heritage
Daring to surprise and delight
Striving to do things even better
Sharing our infectious enthusiasm
Purpose of the role
To undertake the day-to-day management of Goodwood Home Farm in-hand dairy farming business.
- Day to day management of the dairy herd to include but not limited to:
- Grazing management, feeding, bedding, watering, milking and handling of cattle as required;
- Monitoring cattle's health status and ensuring correct tagging and identification as well as movement records on BCMS;
- Treating of sick animals and assisting the vets in routine inspections of the herd;
- To ensure all cows and heifers are served through AI or using stock bulls;
- To maintain operation of the milking parlour and connected plant and to arrange servicing of the plant as specified by the manufacturers or Farm Manager;
- To undertake minor repairs to machinery as need and to report immediately to the Home Farm Manager any major repairs required or any machinery which is unsafe or unfit for purpose; and
- Management and rearing of all dairy young stock and replacement heifers.
- At all times, managing the herd in accordance with standards as required under the milk supply contract, Standards as set out under the Soil Association for organic dairy production and any other assurance schemes or statutory compliance and maintaining the appropriate records thereof;
- Managing dairy staff to include staff rotas and organising relief;
- Work in conjunction with Farm Manager to establish and implement:
- A breeding and culling policy for the herd
- A feeding regime appropriate for the herd and target output for the herd
- A health policy for the herd
- To ensure all records as required for statutory compliance and as required by the Farm Manager are correctly and fully entered into Interherd or any other recording system as used by the Farm
- To comply at all times with the Farm’s Health and Safety Policy including COSHH Regulations and to ensure that all dairy staff work safely
- To ensure the dairy and surrounding buildings and yard are kept clear and tidy at all times
This job description is not exhaustive and additional elements may be required in order to fulfil the role.
Qualities you will possess
- Passion for what you do
- Positive and friendly with a “can do attitude”
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and organise
- Take responsibility for yourself
- Confident to make decisions and to stand by them
- Good negotiation and influencing skills
- Excellent communicator
- A sense of fun!
What do you need to be successful?
- In-depth understanding and passion for all farm-based food production;
- Proven relevant experience in dairy cow husbandry;
- Relevant and extensive experience of working on a farm in a position of livestock/dairy manager;
- Relevant experience in managing people;
- Knowledge of and experience in organic systems;
- Knowledge of assurance schemes, cross compliance and environmental stewardship;
- Computer literate - Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Interherd;
- Knowledge of budgeting and cost control; and
- Full and current driving license, telehandler and AI certification.
- Please view the 1 Working Herds Manager Job Description document (opens in a pop up)